Galway City is a thriving, bohemian centre on the western coast of Ireland famous for its festivals, culture and characters. Known as the “City of the Tribes” Galway is a gateway to the unique Irish-speaking Gaeltacht, the Connemara and the Burren region and is a joy to explore with its maze of cobbled streets and colourful shop facades. With the opening of the Dublin – Galway M6 motorway and excellent public transport links, Galway is both easily accessible and a popular weekend destination.
For more ideas on how to spend your time in Galway click here
Family Guide to Galway
We have put together some suggestions to make your family’s visit to Galway as enjoyable as possible, courtesy of the Mykidstime Guide. We are delighted to share with you some of the family friendly spots round our favourite city in the West of Ireland!
Visit www.mykidstime.ie for lots more suggestions for things to do while you are in Galway
Our Top Ten Things to do in Galway
- Explore the Galway City Museum – There are great views of the Claddagh from the upper floors.
- Hop on the Corrib Princess, tour the River Corrib and Lake. See what Galway looks like from the water.
- Take a picnic out to Coole Park near Gort, visit the Autograph Tree and stand on the human sundial.
- Visit the children’s playground in the Millenium Park, near the Cathedral which also has a skateboard Park for older kids.
- Take a stroll on the fantastic promenade in Salthill, kick the wall at the end like a local and maybe dip your toe in the Atlantic along the way!
- Spend the day in Portumna, visit the castle, the playground, and the wonderful Forest Park.
- Try the Nature Trail at Brigit’s Garden.
- Fly a Kite at Renville Park in Oranmore, and stop by the great playground in the old castle orchard.
- Spend a few hours in Hipkidz in Briarhill – it’s like an activity version of a Giant Playstation.
- Dress up in medieval costume and try archery at the Athenry Heritage Centre.
Things to Do in Galway
There are many great things to do in Galway. Here is a sample to get you started on your holiday to do list!
Some more Indoor Suggestions for Galway
- Visit Galway Atlantaquaria for lots of fishy fun
- Galway City Library has a wonderful children’s book section with toys and seats
- Soft play areas – Busy Bees in Oranmore, Kardio Kids in Athenry, Play Town in Loughrea
- Take in a matinee at Eye Cinema, Wellpark
Some more Outdoor Suggestions for Galway
- Lady’s Beach and Grattan beaches at Salthill
- Playgrounds – see our favourites list below
- Feed the swans at The Claddagh
- Walk the length of the Salthill Promenade (don’t forget to kick the wall at the end, a good old Galway tradition)
- Take a walk by the river at Dangan, start off at the Sports grounds, head down the hill to the river and walk past the Teahouse (old restored ruin) and along to the NUI Galway campus. You’ll see lots of nature on the way
- Combine a trek through Barna Woods with a stop at the Cappagh Park playground, (we love the great long slide!)
- Head for Ballyloughnane Beach at Renmore (take the road down the hill across from GMIT) and explore this long beach
- Take one of the East Galway Trails – download – http://galwayeast.com/family-activity-trails